We are all striving to find a unique sense of home: that sacred space where we can just be. It’s a privilege, really, to be afforded the opportunity to create such a place. The most marginalized of us will only have the chance to dream of home in this life. Whether that be a dream of safety, or a wish for stability, a new narrative is necessary. Today, I’m sharing a list of links that all touch on the ideas of home. They are some of my favorite this month, so let’s dive right in!
- Sandra Cisneros (one of my favorite writers) spent some time on the Leonard Lopate Show to talk about her latest work, “A House of My Own: Stories From My Life”.
- Robert Pruitt, is an amazing artist who creates drawings and paintings inspired by science fiction, comic books, hip-hop culture, African aesthetics, and political and social struggles in the U.S. Pratt’s recent series of paintings depict thoughtful juxtapositions conveying powerful messages about identity and culture.
- I’ve been reading/studying his deep article addressing the psychic weight of blackness, and the ataxic body by C. Davida Ingram.
- Activist from the non-profit advocacy group Mexico Negro started a campaign to fight for the constitutional recognition for Afro-Mexican citizens.
- I dig this article posted on Idealist.org written by Lindsey Mullen providing 7 Tips for sustaining a life committed to social justice.
- “An Ode To Funk” is a righteous pairing of Michael Abraham’s photography with poetry by Patricia Smith.
- If you’re in Durham, North Carolina or the surrounding area, this amazing workshop unites direct action training with science fiction.
- This heartfelt interview with one of my favorite astrologers Chani Nicolas, is pure magic.
I hope these gems prove to be a source of thoughtful reflection for you this weekend!